Friday, January 6, 2017

Sorting Pieces: A Short Story

How is it already January 6th? Really? The first week of the year is ending already? Damn.

I haven't forgotten about the blog, despite my lack of entries this week. I just don't have anything in particular to say quite yet. I've got a list of topics ranging from the election to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, passive racism in the workplace and the possibility of a new Will & Grace, to say nothing of my other obsessions like Steven Universe and the works of Elizabeth Gilbert and Eckhart Tolle. I've internalized the long-form of my opinion for most of my interests and reserved most judgments for short outbursts on social media, but 140 characters aren't enough to get certain points across. I just have way too much to say, really.

Ironically it's the need for a bigger platform of expression that's creating yet another unexpected and contradictory challenge: figuring out my writing process. It's really easy to see something on social media and respond immediately, sending your 140-charactered opinion out into the ether and using plenty of emojis to demonstrate your point. (I know I'm not just speaking for myself here; I see you, Twitter.) It's another thing entirely to sort the pieces of preparation that are required for the moment that inspiration strikes, two factors of the equation which rarely meet at the same time with me for whatever reason. 

Sometimes I'll start thinking about something while I'm driving and the words for a blog post will just come out of nowhere like those motorcycles riding up between lanes on the freeway, but there's nothing I can do about it because I'm driving, so I'll try to remember them for "later." Or I'll be watching a show or film and notice something, and make a mental note to write about it "later." Unfortunately "later" arrives but the words skip the party like assholes and I'm left with a mountain of frustration and empty bags of potato chips and Oreos.

Normally I'd be giving myself a really hard time about not writing every day, but I'm determined to let that habit go and concentrate on the work. Sometimes that work is just sitting down at a keyboard and letting whatever wants to come forward, come forward. And as the work comes forward, I move forward, and by the time these two things finally meet, I'll have the pieces sorted and I'll be ready. That's the goal, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment